The Great House Hunt: Final Walkthrough

 

Today was our final walk through. I haven't been to the house since spring, and I was taken aback by the woody bits behind our home. These trees don't belong to us, according to the survey. They likely belong to a neighbor or the cattle ranch beyond the trunks.

The property line to the right is marked by a spirea hedge. It's unruly and in dire need of weeding. This includes the bane of my existence: Tree of Heaven"and the broad leaf bastard whose name I can't recall. It's not Japanese knotweed but it is very similar.
 
The grass also suffers from a few invasive species. The clover cozies up with the ground ivy and speedwell. My feet trampled chickweed. I pulled a few saplings that would have eventually turn into a mature sumac tree.

A stake designates were our property ends on the left. The neighbors - a very nice older couple - keep a few items out back. This trailer hasn't moved since we first viewed the property. That's perfectly fine with me.

It feels wholesome out here. Nature is in control despite efforts to tame it. Jeff and I, much like Dad, feel an affinity with trees and creepers, and things deemed to be weeds. 

Except poison ivy, wild grape, and pokeberry trees. Oh my God, I HATE those things.  Burn it all and start over.

The house itself looks fantastic. A lot of effort was put into things after the appraiser groused about chipped paint on basement walls and a leak that wasn't even a leak. His demands surpass anal retentiveness. I should know. I enjoy my OCD.

There are still some furnishings inside. I don't mind this. If they don't want them, we'll ship them off to Goodwill, or keep some of the things if they catch my fancy.

The appraiser needs to return to determine if all the demands have been met. I'm not sure if we'll close by next week. I'd like to get in there before July. I have a lot of painting to do, and we're running out of time.


A final note... we started this entire process on April 15th. And now we're into June. Good grief.