A Pregnant Pause: Could the Great House Hunt Be Over?

We found a house!

 It's rural and we don't mind. Years ago, before we were married, we drove deep into Colorado farmland to watch our favorite prolific meteor shower, the Perseids. It was both romantic and nerdy. We haven't gone stargazing since moving to Ohio. The light pollution blocks the stars from view. But here, out where rolling farmland and hills jostle the heavily wooded areas, the stars should shine true for us. 

The house sits on a county road, facing a green belt comprised of grasses and trees. It feels solitary despite homes on each side of the property. It's a wholesome place where one can contemplate the world yet that world is easily touchable after a short drive. It felt like home the moment we stepped inside.

I didn't want a large house though I would have taken one if the price and setting were right. I'm getting too old to give a home a heavy spring clean. I'm getting too stiff to clean even my mother's 1,330 sq ft house in a day. This house is s pebble less that 1k sq ft and that suits me well.

The layout flows from parlor to dining room to kitchen, with bedrooms and bath unnoticed unless looked for. Good privacy, in my opinion. I can curl up in bed and not hear whatever the Better Half is watching on TV.

But then there's the kitchen. It's weensy. I mean weensy. They've crammed a washer and dryer in there, displacing the refrigerator and leaving only the countertop holding the sink. And that's alright! I wanted a huge kitchen to film YouTube stuff but I'll settle for a dining room that still holds antique built-ins.

My grandmother's old breakfront will replace the black china cabinet on the right. 

Oak is oak. This house is filled with it. 90 years have passed since it was built, but nobody has ever painted the wood. It was lovingly polished instead. We will do the same.

We put a bid in this evening. It's an incremental, meaning that the bid will go up a thousand each time another buyer tries to put in their own. We also started $6k more than asking. I'm hoping the family takes it rather than being insulted by bids under listing price. We have a cap, of course. I really don't think we'll come close to it.

Time. It tells us when it's ready. So we'll wait and see. 

I should add that the yard isn't fenced. We'll have to have one installed before we can move in. This will give me plenty of time to paint.

... maybe not all the rooms. I mean, there are a few with colors I actually like.

The Better Half might kill me if I leave it that shade.