Memory Lane: Summer Vacations

 


I update the sidebar critter every season. With summer approaching at warp speed...well... procrastination. I slapped crap together this afternoon.

My search for Blossom's sunglasses sent me down a rabbit hole of all things Summer, and I inadvertently found myself on Memory Lane.

 

We had a good share of non-Disney vacations. San Fransisco and flying my dragon kite with Dad. Vegas to visit some cousins while my Dad worked on some security/sound/mystery at Cesar's Palace. Washington for another job.  The trip to San Diego is perhaps my most favorite, mostly because it was out of character for our standard vacations.

We rented a cottage. I think we were there a week, and I think it was at The Beach Cottages. The beach itself was a skip away. We rented bicycles and rode around as a family. We ate at a restaurant with yummy food, and it was this restaurant that introduced me to Mahi Mahi and Mai Tais.

Throughout my entire childhood, my mother would order extra dry martinis at restaurants. Keep in mind that this was at a time when Denny's had a cocktail lounge, and most restaurants offered cocktails for cheap. I always got a 'Shirley Temple' so I could pretend I was an adult. Dude, bring on the grenadine, lemon-lime soda, and a maraschino cherries!

The resort restaurant waiter recommended Mai Tais, which were served in cute ceramic glasses designed to reflect Asian tropes. You could keep the glasses, too. These drinks were a Tiki bar staple in the 1970s: rum, Curaçao liqueur, orgeat syrup, and lime juice. It smelled delicious. I was allowed one sip. Just one. It was heaven.

Mahi Mahi was added to our weekly menu once we were home, when we could find it at the grocery store. It's still my favorite fish.

There was some sadness to this vacation, too. I can't remember why. I was an only child, so I didn't have siblings to play with. This meant that my focus was on the adults when I wasn't pretending to be some sort of fantasy creature just to escape the familial vibe.

My parents are gone so I have no one to ask regarding the sadness. That's okay. I've enjoyed reminiscing.




Google is celebrating Lake Xochimilco and my favorite salamander, the axolotl. You can find the Doodle game here.