Mum's new hearing aids

 


 "Blindness cuts us off from things,
but deafness cuts us off from people."
- Helen Keller


 

I set up Mum's new hearing aids today. Tiny adjustments were made but, all-in-all, they worked perfectly straight out of the box.

She is skeptical of things ordered from "the online". I urged her to put them on. Her doubtful expression almost made me laugh. She managed to get both the devices in. Mum looked at me, and then looked at her dog, whose toenails clattered on the wood floor.

Hallelujah!!!

I started to cry. My mother can hear again. I got off my chair and she wrapped me in a hug. We stayed that way, talking softly of our love for each other. My mother is a pain in the ass sometimes. And I know I'm a pain in the ass, too. But moments like these, moments were I can do something so essential to her happiness, are cherished.