Autumn Years

Today marks the beginning of my favorite time of the year. It is especially poignant as I have entered my Autumn years. These will eventually fade to welcome the winter that visits everything healthy enough to touch it.

Once upon a time, I had the house cleaned and Autumn decorations out by mid-August. Today is the Equinox and I have spent almost the entire year hoping to be somewhere that is more manageable for me. Less stairs, less cracks in the ceilings, less water in the basement. I can't even explain...all I know is that I must settle before Winter nibbles my body. 

Today's Equinox sat me down at 5am for a lecture: 

What the fuck is wrong with you, girl? Balance. BALANCE. You must achieve this in order to celebrate even the smallest good thing. Darkness has clouded your mind so long that you have forgotten that our Earth continually turns. Day, night. Night, Day. These things are inevitable.

Do you think I don't know that?!

Of course you know it. Stop treating it as "this is how it is supposed to be".  Breathe it in. Taste it. Listen to it. Feel it. Be it.

And just how will I do that, huh? Huh??

Don't make me shove you into dead leaves and beat you with a stick! Do you want me to beat you with a stick? Well, do you?

Noooo.

Good. Stop sulking. Go meditate. Or clean the bathroom - it is looking pretty gross.

I cleaned the bathroom. I gathered towels for washing. I did some dishes. I helped Jeff feed the dogs. I sucked down a hydroxyzine PAM capsule. I went out back to check the wood for a bonfire tonight. It was sopping wet.

Technically, Mabon is celebrated from September 21st to September 29th. If it's too wet to do a bonfire tonight, we can become pagans and celebrate it a few more days.



Autumnal equinox: two moments in the year when the Sun is exactly above the Equator and day and night are of equal length; also, either of the two points in the sky where the ecliptic (the Sun's annual pathway) and the celestial equator intersect. During an equinox, the celestial equator is crossed by the sun. It is known as an astronomical event that occurs at the same moment all over the world but the time is converted into the local time of each country. On the very moment when an equinox occurs, on the equator shines the sun directly, right before it continues its own journey to either north or south. The sun’s journey depends on which time of year it is. It will be celebrated on 22nd September, in Canada along with several other parts of the Globe.