The Japanese Spirea Chimes In

 

One of the great challenges of our age, in which the tools of our productivity are also the tools of our leisure, is to figure out how to make more useful those moments of procrastination when we're idling in front of our computer screens. --Joshua Foer



It is not fair to say I wallow in procrastination. I have my moments like everyone else and, as a chronic pain patient, there are times when procrastination is a prison sentence courtesy of the inability to move without pain.

This is one of those moments. It began last Wednesday after a medical procedure. It isn't the surgical team's fault. I was sedated. They had no way of knowing what positions aggravate the nerve damage.

I gave some thought towards mowing the lawn last Monday. Too hot. Put it off until Tuesday. The prep for the procedure was brutal. I would have spread manure behind me as I walked. It's now the Tuesday after - seven entire days since that prep. I still haven't mowed the lawn.

What I did do is pay a visit to the large wind-chime. Mum and I were chewing the fat on Saturday when we both noticed a bit of green poking out of the top of it.

Those are definitely the leaves of my Japanese spirea bush.

Japanese spirea is on the invasive list in many states. It grows rapidly, forming dense stands that create shade and impedes the growth of native plants, thus causing an ecological imbalance.
Managing Japanese Spirea – How To Control Japanese Spirea Plants

HAAHAHAHAHAHA Fek off, crab grass! 

These are the newest bushes. I planted them almost two years ago? I can't remember. They currently stand around knee high. Those bells are at my eye level, so the top of the chime hangs about 5 feet in the air while the bottom is around 1 foot off the ground.

 

Mum and I were utterly dumbfounded. How on earth did this bush manage to thrust a bit of itself up that chime? The image above shows the bush row height. But the image below reveals two cheeky branches utilizing the protective nature of that metal tube.

I have procrastinated tackling this flower bed. It's no wonder that things went rogue on me. The damn grass is almost as tall as the min pin.

I'll set my mind to it sometimes before the weekend. I'm too exhausted to try anything today. The damn dogs bolted out the back gate yesterday. Jeff and I raced after them. I literally sprinted past neighbors' back yards to find where the dogs had gone. Angus was easy to catch (as he was harassing a dog through the neighbor's fence) and Hershey returned right behind me (good dog!). I have no idea how Jeff caught Zoie.

Oh, and I need to lay bricks around the fence before fall hits. Ugh. Procrastination...