Orange Jelly Fungi (Dacryopinax spathularia)

 

Orange jelly fungus (Dacryopinax spathularia mushrooms) on rotten wood. Chiefly, my own damn deck.

All Fungi are edible.
Some fungi are only edible once.
― Terry Pratchett


This stuff is an orange jelly fungus (Dacryopinax). The rotting wood is my own deck. We were going to seal it after we put it in but, hey, procrastination!

There are 171 species of Dacrymycetales, in 13 genera and 1 family. It includes groups like Dacrymycetaceae. I'm no mycologist but, hazarding a guess here, this fungi is D. spathuarus.

Scientific nameDacryopinax spathularia
Synonyms:  Cantharellus spathularius, Guepinia spathularia, Merulius spathularius
Common name: Fan-shaped jelly fungus.  
Phylum:   Basidiomycota
Order:   Dacrymycetales
Family:   Dacrymycetaceae
Occurrence on wood substrate: Saprobic; in groups or
clusters on decaying, often decorticated, wood; July through
October.   
Dimensions: Fruitbodies 0.5 to 2.5 cm tall.    
Description: Gelatinous fruitbodies are yellow-orange to
orange, have rounded stalks at the base, are flattened upward,
and have an overall fan-shaped to spatula-shaped
appearance.       
Edibility:  Um... depends on the source of info. 
Comments: Dacryopinax spathularia may form dense rows
when fruiting through cracks in the wood. 

Do I have to worry about the dogs eating it? That entirely depends on my ability to classify it properly. I DO NOT recommend consuming any fungi without actual identification. 

I also don't recommend licking my deck to sample it.

In Chinese culture, it is called guìhuā'ěr (桂花耳; literally "sweet osmanthus ear," referring to its similarity in appearance to that flower). It is sometimes included in a vegetarian dish called Buddha's delight. The basionym of this species is Merulius spathularius.*

Is that a Wiki reference?! 

Yes. I don't feel good today. I caught a chill while photographing this fungi for you. You're welcome.

It will take a lot of effort to scour and prime this deck so we can seal it. I've neglected the backyard this season.

I also need to pry a bit deeper into fungi to identify all the stuff growing on the deck. With any luck, I can spend the winter mucking about with images taken on a whim.



Except this little guy in the image below. I noticed him while editing my photograph. It's just a small clover plant clinging to life. This is a raised deck and there isn't any clover growing anywhere under it.



 Life finds a way.





* Wikipedia contributors. "Dacryopinax spathularia." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 19 Oct. 2021. Web. 24 Aug. 2022.