My Aunt Honey

 

Family means no one gets left behind
or forgotten.

-David Ogden Stiers


My Aunt Honey has tested positive for COVID. She's had all her vaccines so, with much hope, she should only experience minor symptoms. The only way we know that is because she called my mom.

We used to text each other. When I upgraded my dying phone, the contacts weren't able to be transferred. I ask my mom, "Hey, can you please get Aunt Honey's mobile number"? Not understanding, she gives me her old landline in Kernville.

*sighs*

I had a list of everyone's birthdays, including cousins and second cousins, and dear family friends. Mom lost it, unintentionally. This is the same list I used for Christmas cards. I can't blame her. She's 87 now, and doesn't remember things as well as she used to.

I'm frustrated by it all. I want to learn more about my Hungarian roots. Ethnic roots. It wasn't something my mother talked about, and all that I know - which is next to nothing - was gleamed by my father when we spent time together. And, most of all, I want my Aunt Honey and my cousins to know that I love them very much.