Somnambulism... or How Parasomnias Entertain Jeff (But Not in a Good Way!)

 

IMAGE CREDIT: ROOM TO GROW

I went sleepwalking last night. It was medication-induced. I really should have gone straight to bed after taking them, but Jeff was working on his laptop on the bed. I don't know if I was already in bed when the event happened, or if I was still sitting on the bed. I recall very little. 

Two events in a row, I'm squatting in front of the closet and doing something with a cardboard box. There isn't any box physically present. Last night, I must have dropped to my left knee very loudly. I was dimly aware of Jeff calling my name. Something something something happened. My next memory is sitting on the toilet to pee. I guess Jeff had been calling my name at the door. I don't know how long I'd been there, but I was suddenly awake and actually did my peeing.

He said to me, several times, "I'm worried about your..." I can't remember the rest. Does it start with a 'V'? Or did my mind conjure him up because he was really asleep the whole time?

 

Sleep and I do not get along. Like almost everybody else, I love the warm, fuzzy feeling of sleep overtaking me while I lie in my toasty bed. My brain loves to torture me once I do fall asleep. I sleep talk, I sleep grasp, I sleepwalk, and I have night terrors.

You might be wondering what the heck parasomnias are, or you've chanced upon this blog entry during a search for somnambulism. Fear not, dear readers! 

It is difficult to explain in my own words, so please pardon me while I pull information from a trusted source.

What is Sleepwalking?
Sleepwalking, once called somnambulism, is generally regarded as harmless. It generally occurs after 2 hours of sleep, meaning it originates in deep sleep. Despite the name, it isn’t always just walking; it includes sitting up, looking around and some people even leave the house. Adults have been known to drive their cars in their sleep. An episode may last anywhere between five and fifteen minutes, sometimes longer. It is not common for an episode to be remembered, although some do.
[CITATION BELOW]

I seldom remember my sleepwalking other than a few bits and pieces. The above description does accurately portray me. However, my most intensive episodes occur due to my bedtime meds.

Why does it happen?
There is a lot of speculation as to why sleepwalking occurs; some people think it is a genetic condition which is supported by some studies. Others think it is generally related to a dream that the [person] may be having; this is also understandable as it happens in the same stage of the sleep cycle. Generally, as with dreams, it can be a result of sleep deprivation, irregular sleep schedules, illness or stress.

I'll throw in "meds" there, as I mentioned above. If I go to bed as soon as I take those medications, I don't go roaming, though I will talk in my sleep or physically grasp at nothing. If I'm awake (ha! in limbo) when they kick in, I supposedly do normal and abnormal activities. There was a tea cup on my bedside table this morning. I suspect I made a cuppa during my episode. Most likely, it was Sleepytime tea.

We do NOT walk with our arms stretched out like some zombie from a horror movie. I hate that cliche. Our eyes are open, but we don't see the same way we do when we're awake. We often think we're in different rooms of the house or different places altogether. We tend to go back to bed on our own, or we bed down on a couch or even a comfy spot on the floor. We usually won't remember what happened in the morning.

Keeping your [loved one] safe.
Whilst sleepwalking itself is not harmful, it can be concerning for parents [spouses, friends, roommates etc] as it can lead to potentially dangerous situations such as the [person] leaving the house or falling. Lock the windows and doors. ... Keep their room free of clutter to prevent a fall. Make sure to remove any sharp or breakable objects from their room and keep all dangerous objects out of their reach. It is a common misconception that you shouldn’t wake a sleepwalker; it could actually be more dangerous not to, as they could put themselves in danger. If you are worried about waking them, gently guide them back to bed.

The preceding is a bit doctored by me. The article itself is intended to help parents understand their child's sleepwalking behavior.

My bedroom's clutter isn't a major factor; most of the crap is on the other side of the bed. I have sharp objects and breakables.

I have sleepwalked down stairs without too much trouble. I don't recommend giving access to stairs to children that sleepwalk. Teenagers and adults know how to open gates, rendering this form of sleepwalking deterrent useless.

It's alright to wake the sleepwalker, if done in a gentle manner. Some don't like to be guided towards their bed. They might be engaging in an activity in their heads and could put up a fight or call you offense things. Always remember, they aren't interacting with you but with someone or something in their "dream".

As for sleep grasping and talking? Pretty much as above, minus the whole getting-out-of-bed stuff.

Night Terrors are separate, and I'm not going to address them here.


 



"Sleepwalking: What is it and why does it happen?", Room to Grow, 28/05/2019 https://www.roomtogrow.co.uk/blog/children-sleepwalking/