Small Town Living: 2021 Toronto Christmas Parade

 

 "City sidewalks, busy sidewalks,
dressed in holiday style.
In the air, there’s a
feeling of Christmas."
  – Ray Evans, "Silver Bells"


 Our Gem City holds a Christmas Parade every year. Every year, I'm caught off guard by it. They really do need a marketing manager for this town. Hell, make it voluntary and I'll do the job.

Anyway, every year, this parade kicks off my holiday smiles. Our home is at the tail beginning of this celebration. In prior years, they staged the equestrians in a vacant lot by Yummy's Ice Cream. Sometimes we had a school band this far back. Always, and I mean always, the first responders line up just outside our front door.

Had I known the parade was this weekend, I would have two signs in our front yard. The larger sign would express our thanks to all of them. The smaller would chide them for not joining Civil Air Patrol. (It's a fam thing.)

We were decorating our tree as they lined up. The throaty rumble of those large engines could be felt as well as heard. Nothing moves until the sun has set, of course, so they graced our street for a while.

It wasn't long before our decoration boxes were stowed and the tree lit. And then the sirens went off and I dashed upstairs to get a photo.

I'm 50 with nerve damage. I don't dash as fast as I used to. It's more of a staggering whine with plenty of expletives tossed in as I struggle to stick the proverbial landing. I made it to the bedroom window and took a few photos as the noisy formation slipped down the street.

I'm not sure what the attendance numbers were, nor how large the parade was.

Focus In Toronto has a partial video from the event. I have nothing much to offer on mine.

Happy Christmas and Hanukkah, Gem City!