To Garden or not to Garden...


 The above is a small snapshot of our front garden, an equally small portion by the front steps dedicated to annuals or whatever small thing had caught Jeff's fancy. 

(I feel a panic attack rising as I look at the beautiful bird feeder in the background. It was left behind when we moved out. Cigarette time!)

Can I recapture this effect at the new house? Probably, but it will be much more difficult now that I'm 50. Also, the upfront cost will be a bitch. I'm not worried about borders. I can buy a few bricks at a time over the winter. The initial plant investment could rise to $500, including soil but NOT whatever we choose to finish it off, it mulch vs rocks vs lots and lots of small ground cover.

The question is simple: Do we invest because we plan to remain in this house for the rest of our lives, or do I plant flowering shrubs and plan to move to a single-story home in a few years?

Every day, I ask myself that question. I'd prefer to stay put, but a lot of work needs to be done to make this house last 40 more years.