Thanksgiving 2021

 

🍂 Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! 🍂

 Our holiday meal is always a quiet affair. No reason to watch football. We forget about the Macy's parade every year (my dad never missed it). It's just the three of us.

This year's feast was a mix of prepared food and Cranberry-Orange Glazed Cornish game hens. (Recipe!) I dressed the birds but Jeff was our master chef. Oh holy god, his hens turned out perfectly! I'm so proud of him.

Hens, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green beans graced our table, along with Hawaiian roles and a bottle of 2019 Ménage à Trois Pinot Grigio. The latter got me through the dishes, and I came upstairs afterward with quite a buzz on.

It's difficult celebrating without loved ones, even those a phone call away. This is our third year without my dad, and our first without Jeff's mom.

My mom tackled the prepared dishes. I snapped a picture of her before we settled down to eat. She looks so tired. Still, she doesn't look bad for being in her mid-eighties.

 

We all go our separate ways after the meal. I settle down to blog while Jeff watches Sea Quest and mom watches old TV series. It's just what we do.

On a personal note: I brought a piece of pie upstairs and then got distracted. Hershey licked my bowl on the desk, lapping up whipped cream and pumpkin. Asshole dog is an asshole.



My own contribution to the meal, other than prepping those hens in the morning, was dishes. Yeah, I'm not functioning too well today. It's pain. It always is. I don't see it going away any time ever.