Color, more color, even more color

 


As I blink my eyes and try to focus in the Lyrica haze, my attention begins to return to the "room project". 

Ideally, the hall, foyer, living room, and dining room should all be the same color or no more than two steps down or up from that main color.

I've achieved that first step by using Universal Khaki (SW6150) for our soon-to-be bedroom.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

 

Wool Skein (SW6148)  is two steps down. It's warm, and works well with oranges and reds, but is also neutral enough to tolerate blues. This would be the living room and dining room, and roll into the kitchen. It would be impossible to repaint the foyer will all the bookcases (and soon-to-be large oak desk from upstairs). The best I can do is slap up a bit of wood stained like the rest of the stuff, using it as a hard division line between stairwell and foyer. The new upstairs family room would also be this color. Eventually Mum's bedroom would be the same... but let's hope I don't need to repaint it for a long, looong time. (I might redo the bathroom's deep taupe/grey with Wool Skein as well.)

███████████████
███████████████

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

 

Of course, I'd go with a hard accent color, such as Mediterranean Blue. (SW7617)  If I put it on the fireplace wall, it would draw in the couch's blue, but also work with oranges and some reds. It already ties in with the tablecloth and cafe curtains I bought last year.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

 

I don't think I'll be able to paint the downstairs anytime soon. My mother has dug in her heels. Nothing can change ergo it looks like a hoarder house or perhaps a cat lady house minus the cats. She balked at my blue couch being moved downstairs (Not blue! I have green!) It's...it is stifling...and damn depressing. 80s green rugs on an 80s oak floor in a house that's almost 100 years old.

Anyway, the colors are all Sherwin Williams. Visit the site to find inspiration.

My former idea might still work as well, if I can ease her into a slightly different yellow for the living room and dining room.

The foyer is currently Cottage Cream. (SW7678) Too orange/apricot!

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

We could springboard that color and paint the dining room and living room Bee's Wax. (SW7682) Way WAY too orange! I need find a shade that doesn't look so fruity.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

With a fireplace accent wall of Spicy Mist.(SW6342)

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

Or some shade of blue

Dunno. But I'm grooving on that blue, aptly named Down Pour. (SW6516) It's warmer than the blue above so it won't work with that color scheme.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

 

I don't have answers. But I do have color chips! I could skip the complimentary colors dance between foyer and living room.

This is Rice Grain (SW6155)

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

And Rice Paddy (SW61446)

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

Hmm...I'm liking Paddy more than Grain.

We'll just have to wait and see what works best for the long run. I honestly don't know what to do. I want a house filled with positivity and not nicotine stained carousels, and oil paintings that smells like a pre-smoke ban bar.