This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren

 

  It's snowed the past day or so. It's provided an opportunity for me to be more pensive than usual.

I miss the water. The beach. I had a magnetic poem on our fridge in Colorado, but I have no idea where it went. It was nautical based, expressing my feeling of withering so far from water. 

Of course, what's the fun in being pensive if you don't have good music to enhance it? Enya won't cut it. This Mortal Coil will.


"Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was forced out
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow
Oh my heart, Oh my heart shies from the sorrow"

Well I'm as puzzled as the newborn child
I'm as riddled as the tide
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or should I lie with death, my bride?
Hear me sing, "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you"


Songwriters: Larry Beckett / Tim Buckley
Song To The Siren lyrics © BMG Rights Management

 

Interpret it as you wish. I think it's a beautiful peace. But the rest of This Mortal Coil's stuff? Really bad 80s.

The original song is by Larry Beckett and Tim Buckley.  Though not as haunting as This Mortal Coil's rendition, it's still lovely to hear. The version below is from the Monkees TV Show (1968) and sung by Tim.