Postcards from a chick on the edge

 

My mother needed major surgery in 2009. I flew out to Colorado Springs to offer support during the days before her surgery and her recovery in hospital. The plan was for me to  serve as an-home care provider for a week or two.

I sent my Better Half snarky "Brutus the Stuffed Rabbit and Me Adventures" postcards during my stay, mainly to keep my own spirits up. My mother is a fractious patient with less claws and 100% more growling.

The postcards are lost somewhere in all my parents' hoarded mess. I found one today.

"Brutus and I have spent the last 2 weeks harvesting dead mulberry bushes to use as chip filling for the VA hospital pillows. We've had to eat gravel and Brussels sprouts. The spork never arrived. Tomorrow, we'll make our break for the Great Sand Dunes. Should be across the border by Thursday, unless Brutus decides to marry Gertie the Hairy Prison Guard."

I wish I could find the rest of these postcards.