Christmas Day 2020

 Christmas Day was very laid back this year. It's just the three of us so there wasn't any need to make fussy food, or put on our Sunday best clothing.  I did miss the annual tradition of going to Mass. It's one more thing that COVID strips from us.

A bit of browsing Twitter left me more than puzzled. People were absolutely upset. They couldn't "go home" for Christmas, or have large gatherings, or go to church. Having grown up listening to wartime stories (WWII) from my parents and (WWI from grandparents), I don't understand how or why people are so selfish now. Shit happens.

I had wrapped presents on Christmas Eve. I'll point out for historical record that I lost the warming mittens I bought for my mom. Hershey did not like seeing those gifts the next morning. Their presence spooked the hell out of him.

Mom and Better Half liked their blankets - especially the new woobie. Better Half got my mom a beautiful silver cross, and I have a new silver pendant. Bliss!

We chilled most of the day, had a delicious dinner, and relaxed the rest of the evening.

I snapped a few pictures. The latter two are typical Christmas photos.

  
A very old ornament
This one, however, is special. My dad loved gadgets. He spent a lot of time untangling Christmas lights every year. And some of the best ornaments are things that fit over those lights. Such is the case with this vintage nativity scene.  

We have similar stuff tucked in boxes. I didn't have the energy to put up our usual "toy" tree. We didn't even get new ornaments this year.

So somewhere, tucked away in the basement or garage, is a collection of goodies that date back to the 1930s - in particular, the blown glass ornaments my aunt and dad hand-decorated one year.

Next year, we're going full-on holiday, people! Garland, large tree, outside decorated. Let's make it happen!

 

Without further ado, here is our simple Christmas dinner. You can find the Gold and Gouda Au Gratin and Peppery Roast Beef and Horseradish Sauce recipes elsewhere on this blog.

 
A simple meal


The quasi-festive foyer will be an office area for my mom by next year. She needs space to work on her scripts, and we never use our front door anyway. Why waste space?

Our perfectly tiny tree