Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2020

 

  My dad never missed the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, except the ones canceled during the War years, and the final November of his life. He attended the event as a child. As an adult, he recorded it to watch later. I still have those tapes. 

The parade was shown live in California during my childhood years. He would get up early. I, still groggy, would stumble down the hall to share the experience with him. We didn't have to talk in order to bond. Once it ended, I would retreat to my bedroom while my parents cooked.

I miss him.

This year's parade is largely unattended due to COVID. It's not as massive as previous years'. Fewer balloons mean exposing fewer balloon handlers to the virus. There are less floats. The most annoying thing are the virtual balloons. Seriously, people, don't go there next year!



 


Not enough nostalgia? Hearken back to Thanksgiving 2007.