Autumn's Summer

 
 I'm starting to roll my eyes every time I step out the back door. It's Autumn. We've had our first frost and a few snowflakes. Mother Nature, however, refuses to cooperate any further this year. 

The Indian Summer (Old Wives Summer, Autumn's Summer, Second Summer) has coaxed buds from trees and caused the bulbs to poke green bits from the soil. The good news is that I was able to paint the fence. The bad news is that we than had to expend energy on mowing the thick grass and weeding the beds. The backyard is done; I'll have to get the parking area sometime this afternoon.

It's ridiculous, really. This is the time of year when we nestle in and await Turkey Day. We cook delicious soups. We put on the kettle. We drag out all the cozy fleece blankets and surround ourselves with warm dog bodies.

Fence painted!
I'll work on painting the garage door this afternoon. Might has well cut the new stuff coming off the front hedges. Might give that grass a mow, too.

My projects for next spring include fixing that brick walkway. I'd love to take out the grass beside it and put in a low deck. Keep the bushes and tree where they are.

That pile of green at the lower left corner is my experiment. I planted a sprouting sweet potato for laughs. I didn't expect it to thrive, let alone flower.