Freezing my arse off

 


Walkies this morning? No. Not at this juncture of time. I'm freezing my ass off indoors. My metabolism crapped out around 4AM.

Shivering myself awake isn't unusual for me in Fall and Spring. Controlling the environment in your home during this these times is hit-and-miss. It's especially difficult for three people to agree on how to best do the furnace/AC dance.

I'm nearly incapable of internally regulating my body temperature so I rely upon the environment and clothing (or lack of it) to get by. Thank you, thyroid cancer. I beat you a long while ago but the effects still linger.

A fellow cancer patient once told me that I'm lucky. "Thyroid cancer is so easy to cure!" 

Technically, it is:

Most thyroid cancers are very curable. In fact, the most common types of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular thyroid cancer) are the most curable. In younger patients, less than 50 years of age, both papillary and follicular cancers have a more than 98% cure rate if treated appropriately. - endocrineweb.com

That good news is tempered by permanent changes to the body, however.

The thyroid, an endocrine gland just above the collarbone, produces hormones to regulate functions such as heartbeat and metabolism. The gland also controls your body temperature. When the body makes too much thyroid hormone, body temperature rises. Likewise, too little and you feel like you've stepped into a freezer. When your body temperature drops, your heart, nervous system and other organs can't work normally.

Meanwhile, my endocrinologist shakes her head and tries to adjust my meds to help regulate my metabolism, especially as it pertains to regulating body temperature.

"You're so lucky! It's so easy to cure!"
 
             😒 Whatever.

Anyway, Hershey offered his own opinion of the cold. He didn't want any part of walkies today. He ate his breakfast, peed a river, and then ran upstairs to get under the covers with Better Half and Gus. I found him pressed between the pair in a bid to absorb their warmth.

I'm hoping tomorrow is a bit warmer. Hell, I'm hoping I'm a bit warmer tomorrow.

  

_________________

 

Thyroid Cancer Information

Thyroid Cancer Information



Thyroid Cancer Information