Bunny-Inducing Herp-a-Derp Hound Moments

Hershey and I skipped the walk this morning. We made coffee and retreated to the back porch to await the sun instead.

(I was - and still am - feeling horrible. No, it's not COVID. I'm allowing myself a two-day binger, fully breaking from my diet in order to remind myself how shitty I feel when I eat junk and smoke cigarettes. Also, skittles are banned from this household until further notice.)

We were out there a while. More than ten minutes. Long enough to convince the local wildlife that we weren't there at all, apparently.

I lifted my eyes and spotted a yearling Eastern cottontail rabbit loping up the brick path like a shy solicitor. "Pardon me, madam. Would you like me to trim back those flowers?"

This is not that rabbit.
I don't have a picture of him.
I left my phone upstairs.
I am a moron.
It's unusual, as the yard is fenced, but not impossible for a bunny that young to squeeze through tiny gaps. We've seen him a few times in the alley and our yard is a safe buffet for wildlife.


Given Hershey's wicked ability to hound things, I expected him to bolt from the deck and give chase. Instead, he seemed to take a cue from me. The both of us remained absolutely still as our visitor drew closer.

The bunny, now christened "Burpee" as his movement was eerily similar to the aerobic exercise, trailed the grass edge and vanished into the bed.

(MY BUSHES! That bastard had best not eat their bark.)

Hershey padded across the deck to peer over the edge. Burpee was down there somewhere. The hound turned his head to look at me, and his tail began to wag - a customary prelude to a Herp-a-Derp Hound Moment.

He sneezed and began to trot towards me, bowing and rocking his head and kicking his front legs high to wipe his face. The tail wag turned into an ass wag. "Hurr, bunny! Bunny there, momma!" It's such a bizarre behavior. He's only exhibited it on walks (once he finds his quarry) so I'm guessing this must be a hunting dog thang?

Or his brain shuts off as he enters moron mode. It lasts only five or six steps before dissolving into more sneezing (dog laughter).

"Good boy, Hershey." I meant it. Having a canine companion as placid as I am while observing nature is, well, absolute bliss.

He returned to the edge of the porch to peer down at the rabbit.We stayed a while longer, greeting the rain as it rolled through. Burpee didn't poke his head out again.

★•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•★

Do you live in OH and are looking to adopt a domestic bunny? Ohio House Rabbit Rescue is the place for you. Also check out this year's Midwest BunFest.


   
October 21 - 25, 2020
Midwest BunFest 2020 is going totally VIRTUAL!!!!
VIRTUAL Midwest BunFest will be a multi-day event.   There will be education sessions, vendors, rescue partners, a silent auction, special 2020 t-shirts with a great logo, a photo contest, and more.